Frequently asked questions

Where are your classes held?

All of our classes are held at our academy in Hutto, TX unless otherwise noted in the course title. Examples: Basic ACO Training <-------------------------- Held in Hutto, TX **PLANO, TX** Basic ACO Training <-------- Held in Plano, TX

Where is the academy located?

We are located in Hutto, TX (just north east of Austin). Our address is: 105 Tradesmen Dr, Suite A Hutto TX, 78634

What time does class start?

All classes begin at 8:00 am unless noted in the course description. Check in begins at 7:30am.

Will I receive DSHS CE hours for the class I attend?

Yes! All of our classes held Monday - Friday are DSHS approved for CE hours as required by Texas Health & Safety Code 829.

I lost my certificate, can I get a replacement?

Yes! We have replacement certificates available if yours was lost or damaged. Replacements are $10 and can be purchased in person or on our website. If there is a mistake on a certificate you were issued, please email us at

What is the refund policy?

If you are unable to attend a class, you will be able to receive a full refund if you contact us at least 3 business days prior to the first day of class. If you have to cancel within 3 business days of the first day of class, we would be happy to issue a class credit to be used at a future class. No show/no calls will not be eligible for a refund or credit.

Can you recommend a hotel while I am attending one of your classes?

Yes! We have partnered with Hampton Inn & Suites (Hutto) to secure a discounted rate for our students. The discount code is provided in your confirmation email, or you can contact us for more information. The hotel website can be found HERE.

My agency is tax exempt. Do you charge tax on classes or merchandise?

There is no added taxes on any of our classes or merchandise.

If I take the Basic ACO class with you, can I take the test immediately after class?

No. Currently, DSHS does NOT allow any outside instructors to proctor the Basic ACO exam. The class, however, does include a ticket into any DSHS state exam which can be used in any of the 11 regions at no additional cost.

What are the payment options?

All classes and merchandise can be purchased through our website using a credit or debit card. If you wish to purchase any classes or merchandise with cash or check, contact us via email at so we can make arrangements.

Are meals included in class tuition?

No. All classes over 6 hours will be given a lunch break, however, Humane Educators does not provide any meals to students.

Is this a pet friendly building?

We love animals and have two cats and several snakes on property. We do NOT, however, allow students to bring their pets to class. Service dogs are welcome.

Is your facility available for rental?

Yes! Our building is available for rental. Contact us at 512-221-5464 or for more information. (Pet friendly options available)

Will I receive a confirmation email when I register for class?

Yes! The person who does the online registration will receive a confirmation email after purchasing tuition. This email is NOT sent to the individual students, only to the person completing the registration. If you did not receive a confirmation email, first check your spam folder, but if it is not there, give us a call or email and we can send another one. Additionally, if your agency needs a receipt with the named students listed, please call or email and we can send you a PDF of the class slip with all information contained. 512-221-5464

When is the next DSHS Basic Test?

DSHS has suspended all testing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Once testing has resumed, we will send an email to those registered through our website. In the meantime, if you have taken the Basic ACO class with us, your letter is still valid and does not expire. For the most up to date information on DSHS testing, please visit the DSHS website here.

What are your COVID-19 protocols?

Our students health and safety is our top priority. We are still offering in person classes, however, our class sizes have been reduced so we can ensure proper social distancing. Mask wearing is required when inside the building while walking around. Students who are seated if they want to eat or drink may remove their mask while seated and eating. In addition, students will be seated seperately from each other unless they are from the same agency, then they can be seated together. Our academy is sanitized between classes, and we have plenty of sinks, masks, and hand sanitizer available to all students. All students are also required to complete a contact tracing questionaire before class begins.

Can I bring my breakfast or lunch to the academy?

Yes! We have a refrigerator, freezer, and microwave that our students are welcome to use while attending classes. Eating and drinking is allowed in all of our classes that take place in the classrooms. Eating and drinking is prohibited in the clinic.

Why do you not teach a chemical capture class?

In short, neither the state or federal laws support its legality. Please see below. Chemical Capture with a controlled substance (example: ketamine, telazol): TX Health & Safety Code, Chapter 481 governs the controlled substances in the state of Texas. It has a specific exemption listed for personnel of a humane society or an animal control agency to possess denatured sodium pentobarbital for the purpose of destroying injured, sick, homeless, or unwanted animals as long as that agency is registered with the DEA and has a DEA license for the drugs. There is NO exemption for possession of any other controlled substances. So it is not legal for humane societies or animal control agencies to even possess any other controlled substances. Therefore, use of the these drugs is not legal in any situation (at the shelter or in the field) that is not directed and prescribed by a veterinarian. As for a veterinarian prescribing a controlled substance to be used for chemical capture. They have to have a valid vet-client-patient relationship with the animal and owner in order to prescribe the controlled substance to that one animal. No blanket prescription for a pre-mixed bottle of a controlled substance or mixture. In addition, even if there was a valid way to possess these controlled substances, the federal law requires they be issued to the specific facility that is registered with the DEA. (usually a shelter or police department) Only a veterinarian has an exemption to transport these drugs from the facility they are registered to. CITATIONS: TX Health & Safety Code 481.067, 481.111 (b), 481.181. TX Occupations Code, Chapter 801.002 (5), 801.351. Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1301.12, Subchapter I, Part C, 822 (e) Chemical Capture with a dangerous drug (example: xylazine): TX Health & Safety Code, Chapter 483 governs dangerous drugs in the state of Texas. There is an expemtion to allow "an officer or employee of the federal, state, or local government is allowed to possess dangerous drugs in the usual course of business or practice or in the performance of official duties." So a county or municipal animal shelter is able to possess and use dangerous drugs as part of their usual duties., These drugs are frequently used in shelters a pre-euthanasia sedation. And while there is no express requirement that these drugs be issued ot and remain on the property they were licensed for, to take them into the field and use them to deate a stray animal (someones property) that you have no possession of and no vet to render aid to recover the animal after the injection of the drug could be seen as practicing veterinary medicine without a license. Under the definition of a patient in chapter 483, it includes an owner or the agent of an owner of an animal for which a dangerous drug is prescribed or to whih a dangerous drug is administered. CITATIONS: TX Health & Safety Code, Chapter 483.001 (2), (7), (11). 483.041

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • YouTube

Copyright 2021 © Humane Educators of Texas, LLC.  All rights reserved.